Powered by Blogger.

"Northanger Abbey"

 Monday, February 21, 2011


Since the movie was so amazing I decided to read the book!!! My review on the movie is in this link HERE!  Unfortunately, because I have already watched the movie, this book did not hold me in utter suspense. :( I felt as though I was reading the script, in some aspects.  Actually I'm quite surprised on how well the movie went by the book.  My advise, read the book first!  In the movie I was confused about Catherine Morland's age(main character), at the beginning of the film, so to clarify she was 18(at least in the book.)  I feel like this book is quite easy to relate to! This wonderful novel was written by Jane Austen!! Now to the review! Catherine Morland is a reader, which is always a good thing! lol  Through some parts you will see her love of reading!  Catherine's uncle and aunt, Mr. and Mrs. Allen, invited her to be their companion to Bath.  Once arriving Mrs. Allen and Catherine desired acquaintances and soon were friends with the Thorpes.  Isabella Thorpe soon became Catherine's best friend! During specific parts I feel like Isabella deceived her on her real motives for doing certain things. Especially going to go see a hat when she really wanted to see those pesky guys that wouldn't stop looking at them.  This wouldn't be the last time Isabella did one thing in pursuit of another...   Later she becomes, Catherine's brother James, fiancée. Along with the Thorpes Catherine becomes acquainted with the Tilneys.  Immediately liking them she barely desired anything else than to become more acquainted with them. Another acquittance of her's is John Thorpe, whom I despise! Such a lying and conniving person!  I leave you to find out... ;) Although he isn't in the book a great deal.  When her time at Bath is almost spent General Tilney, Henry and Eleanor's father, asks Catherine if she would like to be their guest at Northanger Abbey!  During the book when it was storming outside her first night at the Abbey, I was reading this, when I hear thunder outside of the window!! It was quite cool. lol  The general continued to be all manners and was exceedingly attendant to her, which pained me so...   Later Catherine is, basically, kicked out of the house! I won't tell the reasons. :) When she is back at home her mind is adrift till Henry comes. You get the picture. :) One thing I think this book should have had was them falling in love. Like I said in the movie review, you know they love each other but you don't see it come about.  Btw I absolutely love the last paragraph!  Unfortunately this review is over. :( I really loved the book but I would have loved it ten times more if I hadn't watched the movie first.  Don't make the same mistake.      

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP